Sometimes I just want a nice hot bowl of comfort food. This is the ticket. It’s one of the best soup recipes from Cooking Light magazine. The taste is out of this world. It’s not terribly time consuming to make. The last time I made this soup I baked the potatoes while I had the oven on for a meal the day before, so it was quite fast to throw together. This is one of those recipes that makes your eyes roll back in your head, ha ha… too tasty! Trust me, you will love it. The only the I did differently is add more milk and a wee bit less flour so it would be quite so thick. I think the essential part of the soup is adding cheese (I used 2% Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp), crumbled CRISPY bacon and green onions (or chives). Let me know how you like it! Trust me, it’s a winner… Copied from MyRecipes.com…
Baked Potato Soup
- 4 baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces)
- 6 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes; coarsely mash.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour in a large Dutch oven; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 8 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons onions, and about 1 tablespoon bacon. Garnish with cracked pepper, if desired.
Ann Taylor Pittman, Cooking Light
- Calories: 329
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 13.6g
- Carbohydrate: 44.5g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 587mg
- Calcium: 407mg