Well, the New Year is almost upon us and I found you the perfect cheese ball recipe to celebrate. It was perfection. We enjoyed every bite. The recipe makes 1 cheese ball, but it would be a big one (perfect for a party) – but it was just us. So I made it into 3 – 1 cup cheese balls – perfect for celebrating. Also, this can be gluten-free if you use the right crackers (I used Hint of Salt Wheat Thins).
This Cheese Ball recipe is by Sonja & Alex Overhiser (A Couple Cooks) – I’ve made many of their recipes, all of them are fabulous, and this one is no exception. So if you’re trying to think of something to whip up for New Year’s Eve (or NYD) – look no further! Buy a box of Gluten-Free crackers along with regular and you’ll have your bases covered when someone with dietary restrictions pops over.
It’s pretty quick and easy. Be sure to let the cream cheese come to room temp or there will be no mixing. A hand mixer worked beautifully, so no need to haul out the big heavy mixer! Below is my version (I omitted a few ingredients, be sure to check out the link above to read all their pertinent info, such as how to store, what to serve with it, etc.
CHEESE BALL RECIPE
- 16 oz (2 blocks) of (good!) cream cheese, ROOM TEMP.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (and maybe a tiny pinch more)
- 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced (set aside 1 tablespoon to roll ball in with nuts)
- 1 tablespoon + Worcestershire sauce (I may have used 2T)
- Toasted pecans, chopped
- Crackers, for serving
As you’ll see when you read their recipe, I omitted the hot sauce, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried dill and salt. I added pepper and an extra tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. To me, this was magnificent.
- Be sure to let your cream cheese come to room temp. (about 30 minutes on counter). Beat with electric mixer on medium (hand mixer works great) for 30 seconds (or until smooth).
- Add in the shredded cheddar, 2 tablespoons of green onions, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Mix on LOW speed until combined.
- Scoop the cheese into one large cheese ball (or I did 3 smaller cheese balls, each about 1 cup). I scooped it into a 1-cup measuring cup then turned it upside down on a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap tightly and then into a zip-top bag and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Toast your pecans (or whatever nuts you like): I place them in a dry skillet and move them around frequently a few minutes until you can smell them (stay right there!) As soon as you can smell them remove and transfer to a cutting board. Finely chop on a plate, add the chopped green onions. Now grab the cheese ball (you may be able to manipulate it a bit to get it in the desired shape) then roll into the nuts on top and sides. Lightly press in. Let rest 30 minutes before serving (I’m not sure we did this part, ha ha). Place crackers around it.
✨A Couple Cooks mentions that you can refrigerate it for up to 2 weeks or freeze it up to 1 month (wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then foil). Find other tips for this recipe on their website!
If interested, they also have a cookbook! Enjoy, hope you love this recipe as much as we did!
👩💻 Until next time…