Chicken Cutlets with Sun Dried Tomato Cream Sauce. It sounds (and more importantly, TASTES) indulgent. But this recipe came from a trusted source of healthy recipes, that not only taste good – they’re not over the top difficult to make. This recipes comes together fairly quickly and if made for two, makes another meal a few days later!
This recipe is by Eating Well magazine. I have featured other recipes of theirs, they never disappoint. I always glance through the comments to get ideas from people who have made the recipe (vs. those who just comment). Everyone agreed that the sauce was AMAZING and they made a little extra. Ok, so you have to factor that in to your calorie count, etc if you’re a “counter”. I don’t think it’s bad, probably because I bought a package of chicken tenders this time, Bell & Evans near the fresh meat counter at Whole Foods. For some reason, our Whole Foods doesn’t have chicken at the meat counter. The store has only been here a few years and they say there isn’t enough room for it in the showcase. (Not enough room for chicken?) So we’ve been driving to Mt. Pleasant to buy chicken from the meat department there. We bought chicken cutlets, got home and ohmygosh. I’m not sure what happened, but I think it’s safe to say that they, like everyone else is experiencing shortages and perhaps someone like me, who isn’t an expert in cutting chicken had their way with it… with a dull knife. We had some pieces that were HUGE, like a regular chicken breast, then some were tiny shreds and others were a mix. It took forever to clean up and make the sizes somewhat consistent. So this time we bought chicken tenders (since that’s what the cutlets ended up being once I was done with them… me and my trusty kitchen scissors!) I didn’t look at the package but there were many chicken tenders, so it had to have been over a pound, so maybe my increased sauce really equalled out.
Click HERE to go to the Eating Well website and print their recipe. This is my sticky note version (read theirs too so you have all the info!):
📒CHICKEN CUTLETS WITH SUN DRIED TOMATO CREAM SAUCE – EATING WELL
- chicken cutlets, dried off – and about the same size (recipe calls for 1#, I used more)
- 1/3-1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in Olive Oil (I cut them into tiny pieces with my kitchen scissors)
- 1 tablespoon sun dried tomato oil (from the jar)
- 1/2 cup tiny diced yellow onion
- 3/4 cup good chardonnay (I used LVE Chardonnay – John Legend)
- 3/4 cup half and half (recipe calls for heavy cream)
- Sprinkle the chicken with pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sun dried tomato oil in a large skillet* over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until chicken reaches 165 degrees F. with an instant read thermometer. Which takes approximately 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until starting to soften, then add the sun dried tomato. Cook about a minute.
- Increase the heat to high and add 3/4 cup white wine. Cook scraping the browned bits (the flavor!) until a good bit of the liquid evaporates (but not all!) – no longer than 2 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium and stir in the half and half, and any juices from the chicken (on the plate). Stir, adding pepper.
- Return the chicken to the pan, turn to coat with sauce.
Serve! After reading through comments on what to serve this with, one idea struck me as perfection. Sautéed spinach and a good baguette for dipping (in olive oil and or the sauce). This recipe tasted like something in a fancy restaurant. It was prettier serving this using cutlets, although daylight hours weren’t on my side and images didn’t turn out… so the second time I made it (image you see), I used chicken tenders and served with sautéed kale and jasmine rice. Equally as good!
*Notes on skillet to use – A non-stick skillet would be awesome to use because there would be less oil involved. I had more chicken so I had two batches to cook using a large skillet, so I had to add more oil. If it had been nonstick I don’t think I would have had to add more oil, however… I do not like using a non-stick skillet on high heat (if it can kill a bird it can’t be good for us either), so… even if you’re tempted I would pass.
Cannot wait to have the leftovers again tomorrow!
✍️ Until next time…
2 thoughts on “Chicken Cutlets with Sun Dried Tomato Cream Sauce!”
This was so good!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you to the best taste tester ever! 🙌